The following recipes are easy and delicious recipes from cooking instructor Oded Soroka who fuses together flavors from Israel and Japan. Read more about Oded and his take on cooking, here (link to article). You can also find more recipes on his Youtube and Instagram.
Crispy, golden gyoza-tortilla
A delicious dish in which gyoza filling is stuffed into a tortilla for a beautiful fusion of Japanese and Israeli cuisine.
|Cooking Time : 20 minutes|
Servings : 4-5 people
For the Gyoza-Tortilla:
4-5 large tortillas (diameter 25 cm)
300g minced chicken (breast or thighs)
3-4 finely chopped white cabbage leaves
2 finely chopped green onion
1 clove of grated garlic
3 cm ginger root
1 tbsp of sake
1 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tsp of sesame oil
½ tsp of dashi
Vegetable oil for frying (canola)
½ glass of water
For the Dipping Sauce:
1 tbsp of rice vinegar
1 tsp of soy sauce
Spoon of water
½ tsp of sesame oil
＜How to Cook＞
1. Mix the fillers with the spices (as you do with “regular” gyoza). Next, take the tortilla and spread a thin layer of the stuffing and roll.
2. Heat vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a wide pan (26 cm). Arrange the tortillas in the pan and turn every few seconds so that it does not burn, cook until the tortillas are browned. Turn tortilla constantly ,be careful not to burn the tortilla
3. When all sides are browned, add some water to the pan and cover it with a lid. Cook for about 3 more minutes over low heat. After it cools a bit move the rolls to a cutting board and slice into 6 or 8 units to your preference.
4. Serve on a plate with a salad of white cabbage, cherry tomatoes and scallions.
Toasted tofu with smooth tomato butter:
Baked in an oven, this golden and crispy tofu pairs well with the homemade tomato butter.
|Cooking Time : 7-10 minutes|
Servings : 4 people
For the Tofu:
Hard tofu, sliced into 0.5-1 cm thick slices, dried and wiped.
Salt to taste
For the Tomato Butter:
5-6 soft tomatoes, grated
100 ml tomato passata (or any strained tomato puree)
5 basil leaves
Salt, pepper, sugar to taste
100g of butter cut in small cubes
＜How to cook＞
Preparation of tofu:
1. Mix corn flour and Potato flour
in a bowl next, put in tofu slices and coat.
2. Heat a striped toaster oven to high heat and put baking paper inside, sprinkle corn flour and a pinch of salt on the baking paper.
3. Place the coated tofu, and if necessary, sprinkle more of the flour mixture on it. Close the toaster and leave like this until the coating becomes golden and crispy.
4. Remove and arrange on a plate
1. Heat some olive oil in a pan, add grated tomatoes and tomato puree.
2. When it starts to boil, add in basil leaves, salt, pepper and a little sugar to taste. Decrease to a low heat and cook until it boils again.
3. After a few minutes, turn off the heat, add the butter and mix gently until the butter has melted into the tomatoes.
4. Transfer to a serving bowl, and pour over the baked tofu. Garnish with basil leaves.
Serving suggestion: You can roast mushrooms, butter and salt, and enjoy together with the tomato butter.